Lovely Party Things

Party Ideas and Supplies for Your Lovely Celebrations

Beach Party Birthday Cake

Last summer, I threw a backyard beach party for my son’s 5th birthday. We don’t live near an actual beach, so we improvised with an inflatable water slide, kiddie pool, slip ‘n slide, bubbles and lots of water toys! I found tons of ideas on Pinterest for beach party snacks and decorations, too. The cake was inspired by three different recipes: Teddy at the Beach by Betty Crocker, this Hawaiian Beach Cake, from Family Fun and this Kit Kat Cake!

Everyone loved this cake, and it was very easy to create! I just made two round cakes, frosted them with blue icing, and added Kit Kat bars around the outside of the cake, secured with ribbon. Next, I added brown sugar to half of the top of the cake to create a sandy beach. I used some decorative plastic palm trees and a drink umbrella to complete the beach scene. Finally, I crowded in lots of Teddy Graham beach bums :)! Some were floating in fruit ring inner tubes, while others sunned on the beach on fruit-by-the-foot beach towels.

If you’re looking for a fun cake idea for your next beach party, you’ve got to try this :)!

About these ads

29 responses to “Beach Party Birthday Cake

1. Hillary July 16, 2012 at 10:51 am

This is so cute! Very creative and inspiring :)

2. shadeydaze July 18, 2012 at 5:21 am

That is excellent….I love this.

3. brenda August 6, 2012 at 2:10 pm

So pretty did you use frosting in the store or fondent?

• Jess August 6, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Thanks, Brenda! I used Betty Crocker frosting, and added blue food coloring. Frosting the cake helps keep the Kit-Kats in place (you should also use a ribbon or something to help keep them up).

4. lauren somerfield September 2, 2012 at 6:44 am

Just wondering, how many people did the cake serve?

• Jess September 2, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Lauren, I can’t remember how many slices we ended up with, but I do know that I used two 8 inch round cakes. Because the kids were all pretty young, and the cake was so rich, we kept the slices really small – only two Kit Kat bars wide. I also had extra teddy bears on hand so that each kid got one of those too. Hope this helps :)!

5. Dee January 24, 2013 at 2:18 pm

How many packages of Kit Kati’s needed to go around the whole 8 inch cake

6. Pingback: Let’s Party! | Teach Where You Live

7. Lisa May 22, 2013 at 10:15 am

it does not give you the actual recipe which would help greatly.

• L May 24, 2013 at 7:55 pm

So easy to make! Have made two of these wonders already! A big hit! I think I bough four or five blocks of the ‘kit kat family block’…this allowed for any broken pieces and of course there were a few left over. Also, a light creamy icing looks great! I simply whipped cream and added small amounts of caster sugar until the consistency was right and coloured it to the shade of blue I wanted. Good Luck!

8. Lisa May 22, 2013 at 10:18 am

Found the instructions when you go and look at the m&m Kit Kat cake. Basic regular cake and make sure the cake is shorter than the kit kats…..from there it’s very easy.

9. Heather May 27, 2013 at 2:11 pm

This is sooo cute! Made it today for my mom’s birthday :) Only thing I changed was instead of brown sugar as the beach, I used left over kit-kat, graham cracker and brown sugar and threw it in a food processor. Very tasty :) Thanks!!!!!!!

10. lynda jud May 28, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Please add me to your mailing nlist yourncakes r awesome

11. Brenda @ Chatting Over Chocolate May 29, 2013 at 8:59 am

I absolutely ADORE your cake!! Stopping by to let you know that I’ve featured it in a blog post this morning: http://www.chattingoverchocolate.com/2013/05/pool-party-pinspiration.html
    Thanks for sharing! Have a fabulous upcoming summer!! :)

12. Lisa @hooplapalooza June 7, 2013 at 9:00 am

this cake is SOOOO adorable! :)

13. Sherri @madefrompinterest.net June 8, 2013 at 8:43 am

This is so clever and darling. Great idea!

14. Pingback: Another day at the ‘Beach Party’ Birthday Cake | So Delicious

15. Pingback: Sweetness Made from Home: Beach Party Birthday Cake

16. The person in charge of Kit Kat Japan facebook June 23, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Hello! This cake is really amazing!
    Can I introduce this on Kit Kat Japan facebook page? Lots of people must love it!
    I would be so happy if you take a good look at this offer. Please let me know if you have any questions.
    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

17. Connie July 6, 2013 at 11:45 am

Do you have any pics of Batman?

18. Tavette July 20, 2013 at 2:43 am

So clever – and quite do-able. I noticed you used teddys with their arms down for the ones sun bathing on their blankets and teddys with their arms up in the water. Attention to detail – don’t think we didn’t notice!

This would be so cute for a birthday person of any age. Thanks for posting

Tavette

19. Melissa Smallwood July 20, 2013 at 3:51 am

I recreated This Cake Idea ForA My Daughters fifth bdAy Today. Fun Putting It Together!

20. Cindra July 31, 2013 at 11:17 am

You can also you graham cracker crumbs in place of the brown sugar to help with the sugar content!! Still tastes great!

21. Pingback: Playing With FoodThe Adored Home | The Adored Home

22. Bridget August 18, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I made this for our last summer work party. I used ground up Nilla wafers for the beach ( I didnt have brown sugar) and it worked great. It turned out adorable!!! Thanks!

23. exibiscitsFer November 27, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Moncler outlet web shop Cheap Moncler Jackets to present better impose and greater quality You find loads involving Moncler shop web shop to existing better charge and increased quality. within your features you could be attempting to discover far better excellent quality snowboard apparel, you just might admittance the community selling internet site, lower price tag moncler females jackets your shipment. Moncler to get the whole group volume of phone mobile mobile phone calls before make full make use of transactions, to make sure that the qualifications of decided with stores. normal placement of persons within just using almost every sole of the extremely captivating cold months of winter. They really should preserve generate so much skiers security, also require got extra exceptional traits, can accomplish the shopper eyes, let they explained, “this can be what We need.
    [url=http://www.b-eshop.com/p-230.html]http://www.b-eshop.com/p-230.html[/url] 2013-14秋冬新作☆MONCLER【モンクレール】ENFANTキッズ 8-14歳SANGLIERダウンジャケット
    [url=http://www.b-eshop.com/p-6.html]http://www.b-eshop.com/p-6.html[/url] モンクレール ダウンコート メンズ カーキ MC1COAT0007
    an extraordinary jacket actually zero us. spend higher price tags pertaining to cover may good often be a rather well-known custom is just not a undesirable idea, they generally use superior most effective quality resources. Moncler Blouson You have the capacity to obtain very a few things you have to shell out factor in order to weigh and Moncler Outlet Online develop a decision. Moncler wall plug coat in conjunction with jacket, the setting of fine and elective Moncler along jacket choose bespoke operates to set on in addition to occasions. These clothing are incredible design in conjunction with design could make the average person wearing see decrease activity in conjunction with tall. It can keep people hot and definitely you’ll definitely enjoy wonderful admiration in addition to appreciation. It allows you in order to escape via those normal styles that you just used to set on through every winter months. The moncler coat will be attractive into classy types and is particularly also of excellent. Moncler Homme These tend to be warm, tough, comfortable and perfect pertaining to skiing. In addition, these jackets are certainly not outrageously high-priced, and quite affordable. These spencer have almost everything that you probably need in an exceedingly ski coat. http://www.b-eshop.com/